People who are injured due to someone else’s careless, reckless, or intentional actions have the right to take legal action against the negligent party. A personal injury claim seeks financial compensation for injuries, medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other losses suffered as a result of the incident.
Pursuing a personal injury claim or lawsuit is also a powerful way to hold negligent individuals and entities accountable for the harm they cause and work to ensure that similar harm does not befall others.
If you have a question about an injury or disability you suffered as a result of an accident or medical mistake, we welcome you to contact our Cleveland personal injury attorneys today for a free consultation. The Mellino Law Firm has spent more than 30 years fighting for the rights of injured individuals and their families.
Contact The Mellino Law Firm today at (440) 276-3535 to request a free, no-obligation consultation with our team of personal injury lawyers.
What Is Considered a “Serious” Personal Injury?
Our firm, led by attorney Chris Mellino only represents clients who’ve suffered severe, debilitating, and permanent injuries, such as nerve damage or paralysis. By limiting the number of cases we accept, we are able to provide each and every one of our clients with the personalized guidance and one-on-one attention they deserve.
Our firm handles serious personal injury and wrongful death cases involving:
- Car accidents
- Catastrophic injuries, such as burn injuries
- Child injuries
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Drowning accidents
- Electrocution accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Paralysis and spinal cord injuries
- Pedestrian accidents
- Product liability, including defective medical devices
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Truck accidents
If you have questions about an injury, Ohio’s statute of limitations, or whether you have a personal injury lawsuit worth pursuing, we welcome you to contact our office today for a free consultation. We have locations in Cleveland and Rocky River for your convenience.
What Evidence Is Necessary in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
If you suffered catastrophic injuries or lost a loved one as a result of someone else's negligence, you can trust our firm to help you build a strong case for a fair personal injury settlement. The evidence that is crucial to your case will depend on the facts of your accident, but it would benefit you to gather the following:
- Photographs of the accident scene, property damage, and any visible injuries;
- Bills or receipts for treatment, prescriptions, and rehabilitation equipment;
- An affidavit from your employer to prove that your injuries caused you to miss work;
- Contact information for witnesses who can help establish fault; and
- A copy of the police report, if one was taken.
Insurance companies have attorneys, so you should, too. One of the first questions some adjusters will ask when a serious personal injury claim comes in is, "Who is representing the plaintiff?” Since this information is important to the insurance company, it should also be important to you.
Why Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
When someone else’s carelessness or negligence causes you or a loved one to be catastrophically injured, you may find it necessary to hire an experienced personal injury attorney, particularly since the insurance company’s main goal is to minimize the amount of compensation to which you’re entitled.
An experienced trial lawyer can help you when:
- The statute of limitations is running out in your case;
- Your injuries or disability may lead to long-term rehabilitation;
- You face future medical costs and/or lost wages that you don’t feel are being compensated;
- The other liable party doesn’t have insurance or only has minimal coverage;
- The insurance company is pressuring you to agree to a quick settlement; and
- There is a dispute as to who was at fault for the accident.
Not every accident will merit a lawsuit. For instance, bruises and minor injuries won’t justify the cost of hiring an attorney. On the other hand, if you’ve suffered debilitating injuries or lost a loved one, it’s important to act quickly in order to protect your rights. Contact our Cleveland office with any questions you may have.
How to Find the Right Personal Injury Attorney
There are many questions you should ask before hiring a Cleveland personal injury lawyer. First and foremost, you should ask about experience. If you hire your sister’s divorce lawyer rather than someone who specializes in your type of case, you may not receive all of the compensation to which you may be entitled.
In addition to experience, you should ask the following questions:
- What is your opinion of my case?
- What documents will you need me to provide?
- What legal organizations are you actively involved in?
- Have you earned any professional honors or awards?
- What settlements and verdicts have you achieved for other clients?
- Are you willing to take a case to trial if the other side doesn’t offer a fair settlement?
- Have you ever gone to trial?
- Will you be the attorney handling my case?
- How will we communicate – by phone or email?
- What happens if I lose my case?
It’s also important to ask a personal injury attorney about their fees, so you won’t face any surprises when your case concludes. If your lawyer charges a contingency fee, he or she won’t get paid unless you get paid. If he or she charges by the hour, you should know this up front. Take advantage of free consultations, during which you can ask the questions listed above and get a feel for how the attorney may be able to help you.
Call The Mellino Law Firm Today for a Free Consultation
In 1997, Chris Mellino and his former partner made the cover of Ohio Lawyers Weekly‘s supplement “Largest Verdicts & Settlements″ after being awarded the largest verdict in the state. Five years later, Plain Dealer columnist Sarah Crump wrote that they had “set the standard for big medical malpractice lawsuit payouts.” Chris Mellino is respected for his ability to dig below the surface to make sure no fact is overlooked.
Our firm depends on word-of-mouth testimonials from clients like you. Call today to see how our specialized medical knowledge, extensive trial skills, and vast negotiating talent can help you and your family.
We can be reached online or by phone at (440) 276-3535. Contact us today for a free case evaluation with one of our personal injury attorneys in Cleveland.