When most people think about medical malpractice, they think about a doctor making a mistake that causes them additional pain, but it could also include:
A physician may:
- prescribe a drug that causes a patient to suffer serious side effects or death;
- fail to prescribe necessary medication, which could lead to further problems. For instance, what would happen if a doctor neglected to prescribe an antibiotic for a patient’s infection?
- administer the wrong medication or the wrong dosage, which could cause serious medical problems or death, especially if the patient is allergic to that medication or overdoses.
Birth injuries may include:
- cerebral or other types of palsy;
- brachial plexus injuries;
- brain damage; and
- fetal death.
Delaying treatment of a condition such as cancer can significantly affect the patient’s prognosis.
Typically, this lawsuit arises when the patient is unnecessarily operated on, suffers wrongful amputation or removal of the wrong organ, or if the surgeon nicks an organ (such as a perforated bowel).
Can I File a Medical Malpractice Claim?
Attorney Chris Mellino welcomes you to contact our Cleveland office with any questions you may have about medical malpractice. You may also download or request Chris’ free, easy-to-read guide to filing a claim in Ohio.