Each day, the news reports that some patient had the wrong organ removed, the wrong limb amputated, or that an anesthesia mistake caused someone to slip into a coma, so it’s understandable to be nervous about an upcoming operation. But while surgical errors can be devastating, most are preventable. Here’s a list of helpful tips:
- follow your doctor’s instructions and report any issues with your treatment;
- ask questions about anything that you do not understand;
- take a friend or family member to appointments to act as your advocate;
- trust your instincts and report anything that doesn’t seem right;
- tell your doctor about all medications you are taking, including vitamins and supplements;
- be involved in your treatment decisions;
- do your own research about your procedure or illness;
- request a follow-up visit after a surgery and aftercare instructions to take home with you; and
- get a second opinion if you feel that your current physician has made a diagnostic error or another mistake.
Unfortunately, even when we exercise extreme caution, accidents can still happen. If medical malpractice left you injured, disfigured, or disabled, attorney Chris Mellino welcomes you to contact our Cleveland office for a free consultation. You may also download or request Chris’ free guide to filing a claim in Ohio.