Are There Caps on Damages in Cleveland Medical Malpractice Claims?

Ohio lawmakers have passed a bill that limits the amount of reimbursement you may recover in a medical malpractice claim. There are two kinds of damages you may pursue:  economic and non-economic.

Non-economic damages cover:

  • pain and suffering;
  • disability; and
  • life expenses.

This can also include punitive damages intended to punish the negligent doctor.

Economic damages cover:

  • medical bills;
  • lost wages; and
  • disability.

Non-economic damages, including punitive damages, are currently capped at $250,000 per plaintiff or three times the amount of the economic damages, whichever is closer to a maximum of $350,000 per plaintiff and $500,000 per incident.

If you have suffered a catastrophic injury, such as the loss of a limb or an organ, your claim could recover up to $1,000,000 dollars per occurrence. Ohio medical malpractice law delineates certain criteria for what is considered “catastrophic.” An experienced trial attorney can help you determine whether your accident qualifies.

Why Do I Need a Personal Injury or Medical Malpractice Attorney for My Case?

First, he or she can investigate and pinpoint all liable parties, which may include:

  • doctors;
  • nurses;
  • surgeons;
  • dentists;
  • clinics;
  • hospitals; or
  • specific hospital employees.

He or she can also help you by:

  • requesting and reviewing all medical records;
  • gathering evidence;
  • consulting with medical experts;
  • analyzing legal issues;
  • calculating your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages, such as pain and suffering;
  • negotiating with insurance companies; and
  • demanding a jury trial if a fair settlement cannot be reached.

We understand that no amount of compensation can reverse an injury, but a substantial settlement may help cover medical bills and lost wages. Having an advocate in your corner who’s dealt with cases like yours could help you recover the highest amount possible.

Before hiring any medical malpractice lawyer in Cleveland, request our free guide to filing a claim in Ohio.