Six Tips to Avoid a Misdiagnosis in Ohio
A misdiagnosis, such as an over-diagnosis, could have dire consequences for the patient and lead to a legal malpractice claim.
Making the Most of Your Medical Appointment
In an effort to make the most of your doctor visit and possibly prevent a misdiagnosis, you should do the following:
- Prepare for your visit in advance – Keep a diary of your symptoms, write down all of your medical problems and discuss them with your doctor.
- Explain how you’re really feeling and don’t be bashful – discuss your appetite, your pain, your mood, your sex drive.
- Keep track of your medication – bring with you a list of all prescriptions and over-the-counter medication you’re taking.
- Keep an open mind – if you’re fixated on an MRI, but your doctor suggests you first try medication, give the medication a try.
- Ask questions and take notes – write down pertinent information and research it.
- Ask for test results – if you undergo any diagnostic tests, keep calling until you get the results.
Unfortunately, even if you’re a proactive patient, you still could become a victim of an over-diagnosis. Know that you can always consult with a medical negligence attorney to take steps toward preserving your rights.
Help From a Cleveland Attorney
Do you have questions about your potential Ohio legal malpractice claim or medical negligence lawsuit? Contact us at (440) 276-3535 to learn more.