Complications of a Pneumonia Misdiagnosis
If your or a loved one was the victim of a pneumonia misdiagnosis, you may be able to hold the doctor liable. If you suffered serious or life-threatening injuries as a result, compensation may be available. With the different types of medical malpractice, it can be difficult to know if you have a valid case. Contact a Cleveland medical malpractice lawyer to learn what options may be available.
Pneumonia can be treated easily with antibiotics. However, if it is not properly diagnosed or if there is a delay in a diagnosis and/or treatment, it could lead to serious, life-threatening complications.
Complications of pneumonia can include:
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome – lung disease that reduces oxygen and makes breathing difficult;
- Bacteria in bloodstream – infection spreads through the bloodstream;
- Septic shock –an infection spreading through the bloodstream can lead to organ failure and shock;
- Abscess in lung – a cavity with pus may form; and
- Fluid accumulation – fluid can collect around the lungs, leading to infection.