If your life has been changed as a result of a medical mistake or car accident, you need a lawyer who will give your case the time, attention, and resources it deserves. “TV lawyers” typically devote their time and resources to marketing and attracting more clients, who they pass off to paralegals and “case managers.”
The best personal injury lawyers rely on referrals from previous clients and fellow attorneys. They accept a limited number of cases and concentrate their efforts on achieving the best possible result for those clients. These lawyers are never under pressure to settle a case quickly due to high overhead and advertising costs. You can be sure that insurance companies and defense lawyers take this into account when negotiating settlements.
When choosing a lawyer, get references from other lawyers or even judges you may know. Try to find other people who have been injured in a similar manner and ask them about their experience. Remember, this will be a long-term relationship built on trust and mutual confidence. A little time and research go a long way in helping you find the right person with whom you will feel comfortable.
Questions You Should Ask an Attorney During Your Consultation
- Who will be handling my case? Is it a named partner or a young associate?
- How experienced is the lawyer who will be handling my case?
- How long has the lawyer or firm been handling medical malpractice or personal injury cases?
- Are the law firm’s resources directed exclusively toward malpractice, or does the firm handle other types of cases as well?
- Will my case be one of a few cases the lawyer is handling or one of forty, fifty, or even more?
- Will he or she return my phone calls?
- Has he or she achieved significant results through either verdicts or settlements for his clients?
- Will he or she take the time to explain the legal process and answer any questions I have about my case?
Have a Question About a Personal Injury Claim?
Attorney Chris Mellino invites you to contact us by filling out the form below or calling 440.333.3800.